Expansion joints seals create a flexible transition point between adjacent concrete or cement panels, allowing the structure to expand and contract with temperature changes and move with minor seismic shifts or strong winds without damage. Expansion joints can also provide a waterproof seal between panels to prevent water and debris penetration, making them a critical component of bridges, rooftops, and parking garages.
Watertight joint seals are useful in a variety of construction applications, including:
- Parking garages
- Concrete walls
- And more
Northwest Rubber Extruders, Inc. custom manufactures expansion joints based on your shape, size, and color specifications to meet the needs of any customer application. Simply supply us with your design and material specifications, and we will deliver custom expansion joint seals that perfectly match your requirements.
Custom Expansion Joints Made to Your Specifications
Northwest Rubber Extruders produces custom expansion joint seals for roof-to-roof, floor-to-floor, roof-to-wall, and wall-to-wall joints. We can provide expansion joints in nearly any specialty configuration you may need. Our precision custom extrusion capabilities enable us to turn essentially any customer design into a tangible product.
We can produce custom architectural seals, bridge seals, v-seals, and other expansion joints from silicone and thermoplastic materials, depending on the needs of your application. Our custom expansion joints are also available in any color you require, including joint seals that are color-matched to their other construction materials to “hide” the seams between panels.
Our company provides complete custom solutions and can assist you with drawing manipulation and concept design. We are also highly committed to quality control and are ISO 9001, AS 9100, and IATF 16949 registered for quality assurance. Contact us today to learn more about our wall expansion joints, bridge expansion joints and other products.
Features & Benefits of Watertight Joint Seals
- Silicone materials are typically caulked to create a watertight seam
- Thermoplastic materials can be heat welded for watertight seams between joint sections
- Suitable for heavy duty applications
- Durable, weather-resistant materials
- Suitable for extended water immersion
- Easy to install; easy to replace if worn or damaged
- Roof-to-roof (floor-to-floor), wall-to-wall, roof-to-wall & other configurations
- Custom profiles and shapes to match your design needs
Material Options for Expansion Joint Seals
Custom joint seals are extruded using wo types of synthetic rubber. Each option provides several benefits and we can help you determine which material is best for your application.
- Silicone: This flexible material is known for its wide temperature range and excellent resistance to heat, chemicals and UV light. Its weatherproof properties make it ideal for expansion joint seals that are constantly exposed harsh conditions and wear.
- Thermoplastic: A material that is lightweight with high strength and impact resistance properties. Thermoplastic expansion joint seals are made using various types of elastomers providing varying levels of strength and wear and temperature resistance.
Bridge Expansion Joints for Road and Rail Transportation Systems
All bridges are designed to be flexible to accommodate shifting from wind, temperature changes, stress from loads, and earthquakes or other natural events. Bridge expansion joints help absorb vibration and movement to prevent cracking that damages the structure and can lead to collapse.
Railway bridges also expand and contract with temperature fluctuations and can shift with movement across the tracks. This movement places extra strain on railway tracks and can cause them to buckle, which can result in dangerous train derailments. Bridge expansion joints help prevent these issues by absorbing bridge movement and expansion and contraction resulting from temperature changes.
Wall Expansion Joints for Commercial and Residential Construction
Wall expansion joints are installed between concrete slabs and other construction materials in residential and commercial building applications. The watertight joint seals accommodate movement and vibration and allow from thermal expansion and contraction during temperature changes. Wall expansion joints are uses for interior and exterior walls and may also be installed in foundation floors.
Roof Expansion Joints for Architectural Applications
Just like walls, roofing materials need space to expand, contact, and shift as environmental conditions change. Roof expansion joints are made from extruded thermoplastic and create a watertight seal to prevent damage from moisture.